Thursday, February 17, 2011

The National Portrait Gallery and Taylor Wessing Portrait Experience

I was pretty shocked when I looked around the National Portrait Gallery.  I was not expecting there to be modern style paintings, photographs, and other mediums as well.  My favorite image in the gallery was the painting by Jason Brooks called "Sir Paul Nurse."  Brooks' painting was a large black and white image of a close-up of a man.  It looked like a photograph from far away, but then I realized after reading the caption that it was acrylic paint.  As for the gallery, it was in an awkward spot.  I thought it didn't feel like an entrance compared to the National Gallery.

The Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize, I thought it was pretty good.  Some of the photographs were really not that interesting, but I still thought it was a decent show.  My favorite photo that I absolutely love is called "Wet and Dry- Laura" by Madeleine Waller.  The environment in which the woman was standing in was mysterious with the fog and the snow.  For me, the pattern of her bathing suit made the photograph successful, along with the context, too.  I did enjoy the space in which these photographs were displayed, and it was somewhat crowded and full of life for the gallery being close to closing time!

No comments:

Post a Comment