Thursday, January 13, 2011

British Museum Experience and Picasso to Julie Mehretu

The museum itself was absolutely beautiful and when I first walked into the building I was not expecting the huge skylight roof.  It made the building so much brighter and welcoming.  The first thing we went to go see was the Rosetta Stone, and the history behind this artifact was profound and almost hard to believe.  Without this stone who knows where our language would be today.  The Elgin Marbles were also interesting mostly because of the debate of whether Greece should have them or the British Museum.  For me it is hard to almost appreciate the look of them because they probably look nothing like they used to, they have deteriorated a lot over time.
The Picasso to Julie Mehretu exhibition was not what I was expecting either.  I thought there was going to be many more Picasso paintings/drawings, but it was still interesting. I actually did not know Julie Mehretu's work before this exhibit and I ended up being more drawn to her work than the displayed Picasso works there.  Charles Seliger's "Organic Form #5" also caught my eye with the use of colors contrast to black solid froms.  The shapes are extremely appealing and your eyes move through the piece easily.  Overall, there was an abundance of history and I liked the setup of the different areas of the world and the history within the area.



No comments:

Post a Comment