Thursday, January 6, 2011

Tate Modern Experience

At the Tate Modern there were many amazing works of art and it really had a good mixture of mediums.  When first entering the Tate Modern, I notice an “industrial” type atmosphere. This atmosphere greatly enhanced Ai WeiWei's piece in my mind.  His work of art really took me by surprise and I felt so calm and relaxed when looking at it.  It had a lot of movement even though the height at which the porcelain sunflower seeds exceeded was one height.  It had such great unity throughout the artwork making it into one huge piece of art.  Through the rest of the museum I found some artwork that I could relate to my artwork. One of the artists was Miki de Saint Phalle "Shooting Picture" 1961.  I love the mixture of sculpture incorporated into a flat surface and then painting letting gravity pull the paint down.  Another artist is Rineke Dijkstra with the photographs of the three women naked who gave birth.  I saw these images only in a class, and I like how I got a totally different experience seeing them in person.  There were many other painters, sculptors, and photographers I enjoyed, but overall I really like the way everything was displayed in the Tate Modern.

No comments:

Post a Comment