Sunday, January 9, 2011

National Gallery Experience

First of all I did not realize how huge this museum was until we were inside trying to navigate our way around.  It has a plethora of old artworks.  The museum itself was extremely detailed and extravagant on the inside.  I started to look at the wallpaper and look at all the different patterns and colors that were in all of the different rooms.  The one painting by Hans Holbein was impressive in the angle at which you looked to see the skull.  Besides that I feel it was just like any other older painting of a portrait.  There was no interesting composition, but then again that was the norm for that time period.  The quality of his painting was beautiful though.  The other painting that I was excited to see was Jan Van Eyck's "Portrait of Giovanni Arnolfini and his Wife", because I had studied that piece a lot in one of my art history classes.  It was great to make the connections and look at this painting in person.  Overall, I liked the National Gallery, but I thought there was so much to look at that the artwork started to merge into one, making every work appear to be the same sometimes.  It was definitely an experience that I would not want to miss because the history there is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment