Sunday, January 9, 2011

Westminster Abbey Experience

The Westminster Abbey was a really beautiful church, with so much history.  I found the tour guide to be extremely intelligent and very clever and interesting to listen to.  He informed us about the church and the history that lies within it.  Some of the stories that he told the group that really stuck in my mind were the Unknown Soldier, and the one man that was buried in the tomb with one wife, and left a space for his other wife he remarried.  Only she outlived him for about 40 years and did not want to be buried there, so that was why there was an empty area next to him.  While walking around the Abbey it was kind of creepy knowing that I was walking on bodies, but I found it also interesting knowing that there were many famous people buried there, especially the ones I knew of buried there.  Since we were at the Shakespeare Globe Theatre, I liked seeing his burial at the church. I also thought that it was interesting that the church was built at two different times but the creators kept the same architecture throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment